Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Anniversary Post

12 years.

624 weeks.
4,380 days.
105,120 hours.
6,307,200 minutes.
378,432,000 seconds.

One daughter.
Two dogs.
Four cities.
Five homes.

Hundreds of tears.
Thousands of smiles.
Millions of memories.

Two rings.
One life.



I know that our 11th year together has been our hardest.

I know there were times we wondered if we'd make it to our 12th.

But here we are.

Together.

I don't know if things can ever be the same.

I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing.

But I'm not giving up.

Even if I'm scared

or angry

or hurt

or insecure.

Loving you is part of who I am.  It's reflex, like blinking or breathing.

Or talking. ;)


From the beginning, we addressed the challenges life might present.  Sickness and health. Rich or poor. Better or worse.  Little did we know back then that life would bring them all at once.

From the beginning, we promised to love enough to risk being hurt.

Now I promise to love enough to move past the hurt, to figure out how to be ME again so that hopefully we can be US again .

Today we celebrate twelve years of marriage.

And twelve years of friendship.


We're starting another year together.

Together.

Together.

Together.

There are worse things two people could be.

I hope our next 15,768,000 seconds are happy and healthy and everything I believe we deserve.

I hope next year I'm writing a completely different anniversary blog.

I hope the odds are finally in our favor.

Happy anniversary, John.  Here's to us.  I love you.  I do.

I do.  



2 comments:

Fire Juan said...

I love you too

Jennifer M. said...

I remember your wedding. It was so sweet and your ceremony was full of love. I am glad that the two of you are still together and that you are continuing to fight for that "together." :)