Monday, February 16, 2009

Eyes Sewn Shut (Part Three)

Celeste missed school the following day, but by Thursday she was waiting in front of the house for Lora. Celeste’s eyes were no longer red, and she forced a smile as she fell into step beside Lora.

“I’m sorry ‘bout the other day.””No, it’s fine. Don’t be sorry. I didn’t mean to bother you, but I promised your mom I’d pick up your work.”

“You didn’t bother me. I just wasn’t read to talk about anything.””So can you tell me what happened?”

“Well, no one’s dead, but I feel like he should be. My dad… he… look, I don’t want to get into it now. There’s too much to tell you between here and school and I don’t feel like crying. How about we hang out at your place this afternoon? Can I still take you up on those cookies?”

“Of course,” Lora said.


The day seemed to last forever.

No comments: