Saturday, February 21, 2009

Eyes Sewn Shut (Part Eight)

Two months had passed since the night Felicia confided in Lora. The two girls had hung out almost every night since Felicia had broken up with Jason. Lora was certain that she and her new friend were headed toward best friend status.

They were sitting in the lunchroom one afternoon. Felicia was abnormally quiet, which both worried and excited Lora. She worried that Felicia might be angry with her. At the same time, she secretly hoped Felicia had some sort of problem, something that would make her need Lora more.

“Y’okay?”

“Mmm?”

“Are you okay? You’re quiet.”

Felicia didn’t answer immediately. She took another sip of her Cherry Coke.

“’Cause you know you can talk to me if you need to.”

“Jason called me last night?”

“Jason? Jason who cheated on you Jason?”

“Same one.”

“What’d he want?”

“He wants to see me this weekend.”

“Tell him no.”

“I don’t think I can, Lo. I really do miss him. I’m lonely.”

“Well… we’ve been having fun. Haven’t we?”

“Of course, but I miss, well, you know, him.”

Lora didn’t know actually.

“What did you tell him?”

“I told him I wasn’t sure. Said I’d call him back tonight.”

“Are you even considering forgiving him?”

Felicia thought for a moment.

“I’m still mad, but people make mistakes, right? He didn’t actually have sex with her. That’s forgivable isn’t it? What would you do?”

Lora wanted to tell her that she would write him off totally and devote all of her free time being the best best friend ever.

“Not my call.”

No comments: