Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day Twenty-Five: A Day in the Life

If I had realized that today's challenge is to post a picture of my day, I would have tried to have a more exciting day.  At the very least I would have done something interesting enough to deserve a blog.  As it stands, this is going to be the very type of blog that I avoid:  the "here's a bunch of stuff I did today that no one will be interested in but that won't stop me from wasting both of our time telling you about it."  I guess I'll just have to hope that this isn't anyone's introduction to Bad with Conviction.  Even when my blog is about me, I generally try to make it not so much about me (does that make any sense?)   So bear with me as I go through this and be thankful that I at least got out of my pajamas today. 

Since I didn't go to bed until 2 AM, yesterday kind of bled into today.  It started with Amelia waking up around 11:30 very unhappy.  I finally got her back to sleep around 12:30.  Then I put my pajamas on and realized I wasn't ready to go to bed.   I hope to eventually learn to turn these nights when I can't sleep into productive cleaning binges.  Not happening right now.  Instead of answered some email, worked on some HOA crap stuff, and put the final touches on yesterday's blog.  I finally went to bed and actually slept pretty soundly. 

I don't normally set an alarm since Amelia gets me up in the mornings.  Last night I set one for nine, though, since I told Tiffany I'd pick up the Bean at pre-school.  So glad I did.  When my alarm went off, I was a bit disoriented and concerned.  I wondered why Amelia hadn't woken me up.  I grabbed the monitor, certain that it had malfunctioned.  I could still hear the noise machine running in the nursery.  I hopped out of bed and went to check on her.  Sound asleep.  I saw this as an opportunity to take a shower without having to sing "Jingle Bells" 85 times in a row.  After a long, hot, wonderful shower, I put some product in my hair, threw on a robe and went to the kitchen to make Amelia a bottle.  I was certain that she would be waking up at any moment, but at 9:30 she was still sound asleep.  I woke her up and got a grumpy face (see above)

I fed her and proceeded to get us both ready.  Then we left to go pick up Bean.  On the way to drop Bean off at day care, we sang "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and about 47 verses of "Old McDonald."  The good farmer has some new additions to his farm, including a grizzly bear, elephant, dump truck (I had a brain fart) and bullfrog.  We concluded our ride with "Five Little Monkeys" and I dropped her off. 

Amelia and I headed to pick up John from work, and we drove downtown for lunch.  We decided to eat at the Liberty Street Grill.  If you live in the Jackson area and ever want a quick, cheap (and kind of greasy) lunch, I totally suggest Liberty Street.  They have 8-10 specials each day for $5 (tax included) and you get your choice of sandwich or entree plus a side item and drink.  I had a delicious patty melt (minus onions, of course) and some good conversation about polygamy. I think we came to the conclusion that there are much worse situations than polygamy and that we have more issues with the Duggars than with the Browns from Sister Wives

I dropped John back off at work and went by the bank to drop off a check.  As I got ready to head home, I realized I was on the other end of the street that runs in front of Liberty Tech, so I decided to head that way and drop in on my teacher peeps.  I ended up spending 2 1/2 hours visiting with some of my girls and showing off Peanut.  I took Amelia by my old classroom to see where Mommy used to teach.  I know she had no clue as to why we were there, but it was neat nonetheless.  One of my teacher friends asked if I miss the classroom.   Sometimes I do miss teaching and the students,  and I especially miss the camaraderie of my fellow teachers.  But I love staying at home way too much to go back at this time.  I have my own little student to teach these next few years. 

After we left Liberty, I swung by Sonic to get my second Route 44 water with extra ice of the day (I got one on the way to pick up Bean, too.  Forgot to include that earlier).  I happened to look down and notice my gas light was on.  So off we drove to Kroger to use my .10/gallon discount.  As I started to pump my gas, though, I felt my toes getting wet.  I looked down and the gas hose was leaking on my foot.  I quickly set it back in the holder and in the process got it all over my hands.  Great.  After telling the attendant about the leaky hose, I finally pumped my gas and drove home with my windows down as to not make either of sick with the fumes. 

Once I got home, I started making dinner (quiche and biscuits) while Amelia screamed at me from her jumper.  She's usually pretty even tempered, but she was pretty grumpy last night. She wailed and thrashed until John finally got home and rescued her.  I just can't seem to get her to understand that it's dangerous to hold her over the stove while I cook.  You'd think she'd get that now that she's almost seven months old.  Jeez.  Once the quiche was done, we ate dinner and started getting Amelia ready for bed.  Fortunately, she didn't put up much of a fight even though she was super tired and cranky. 


"Please tell Mommy to stop abusing me!  I want to be dangled over hot grease!"

Once we got her to sleep, we caught up on some of our TV shows on the DVR.   We watched last week's episode of Justified (yum), this week's episode of V (interesting) and an episode of Tosh.0 (hysterical except for the part with the broken bone that I fortunately figured out was about to happen so that I could hide my eyes). 

Now I'm pounding out this blog so that I can go to bed at a semi-decent time tonight.  I'm actually super tired and my eyes are burning which means I'm probably running a low-grade fever.  I know this was a rather mediocre blog for what was a fairly mediocre day, but this is what my life is like.  And you know what?  I'm totally okay with that.  I slept past eight.  I  spent time with my daughter, my husband and my friends.  I ate some good foot.  I watched some of my favorite shows.  I have no reason to complain.  And now I'm going to snuggle up with Abbie (my fur baby) and sleep in my big, warm bed.  The perfect end to what is for me a pretty perfect day. 


NOTE:  I ended up falling asleep in the recliner before posting this, so it's a day late.   I'm not going to be too hard on myself, though, since I ACTUALLY FELL ASLEEP BEFORE MIDNIGHT!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So how did that foot taste? Hehe