Thursday, June 23, 2011

Shopping Trip

I am still couponing but haven't had the time to go and "sniff out" the bargains quite so often.  The bigger Amelia gets, the more challenging trips to the store are--especially when I try to go to multiple stores in one trip.   I've still been saving anywhere from 10-20% on my weekly shopping trips, though, spending only about $400 each month on food, household goods (cleaners, toilet paper, etc.), diapers, wipes, formula, toiletries, cosmetics, etc.  As I've said before, I'm not out to get everything for free or to buy anything I'm not going to use (even if it costs pennies).  I just want to save money on what I need and normally buy. 

Tonight I went to Walgreens and Kroger.  I keep KICKING myself for not getting to WAGS earlier in the week.  I try to go Sunday or Monday at the latest, but it doesn't always work out.  Since I didn't make it this time until Thursday, I didn't get my NEGATIVE eleven cents aluminum foil, but I did come out pretty well. (Sorry no pictures this time... it was hard enough to just get stuff put up with Amelia digging in the bags).   I bought foundation, powder (the cosmetic type, not baby), bobby pins, a large tub of Similac, and four bottles of Gillette body wash.  My grand total before coupons was 58.42 plus tax.  After coupons and a formula voucher from Similac, my total with tax was 35.50.  And I got a $2 Register Reward back.  Counting my RR, I saved $24.92.   I had promised I wouldn't buy any more body wash or deodorant for John (his bathroom drawer is starting to look like an episode of Hoarders), but when I can buy $4-5 body wash for a $1 each, I just can't turn it down. 

I've done better  at Kroger than I did tonight, but I still stayed under budget and that was after a couple of splurges for myself, some diapers and wipes that weren't on my list, and a toy for Amelia (it was TOTALLY necessary for my sanity).   Kroger just didn't have much on sale this week that I wanted to buy and my stockpile is starting to dwindle.  On top of that, the coupons in Sunday's paper SUCKED.  However, I managed to put together some meals that were mostly based on what I have in the pantry, what's on sale, and the coupons I have. 

My shopping bags included:

1 lb. Sara Lee smoked turkey from the deli
Parkay "squeezee" margarine
4 large tubs sour cream (I freeze them to use in casseroles and other dishes)
2 packages shredded mozzarella cheese
1 package shredded casserole cheese
Laughing Cow cheese wedges (my treat!)
1 package frozen green beans
3 packages frozen corn
1 package frozen peas and carrots
2 cans crescent rolls
1  250-count napkins
1/2 dozen eggs
2 packs of "puffs" (Amelia's snacks)
2 boxes of Emerald Breakfast Mix (these are a huge splurge but I am ADDICTED)
1 package dish washer "pacs" (SO excited that Kroger makes their own version now that's $2 less!)
2 boxes baby wipes
1 pack of nighttime diapers
Baby toy/appeaser (ha ha)
8 jars mixed fruit baby food
Spaghetti noodles
2 bottles BBQ sauce
2 packs lean ground turkey
1 box Special K cereal
1 box Cheerios
1 box Frosted Flakes
4 cans spaghetti sauce
1 jar tomato paste
1 can cream of chicken soup
Two  1/2 gallons of milk
1/2 gallon chocolate milk

My grand total after coupons and tax was $94.58.  If I subtract Amelia's toy, that brings me down to $89.59.  I didn't plan to get the overnight diapers or two boxes of wipes (and don't really need them at the moment) but I got them for 7.72 after coupons (.02 for each wipe!)

I have to admit that even when it's stressful (Amelia snatching my coupons or screaming, rude checkout people, realizing that I have $6 of expired Register Rewards), I'm really enjoying this.  Compared to a lot of people, I'm not saving that much but 10, 15, 20 a week adds up over time. 

Hopefully next week's trip will be a little more productive.  Amelia will be with her Nana and Grampaw on Sunday, so I plan on hitting Walgreens that afternoon before the truly crazy coupon people clean out their stock. 

No comments: